Friday, May 10, 2013

Capstone Night Debrief

     The adjectives I could use to describe Capstone night could take up half a phone book. It was fun, interesting, awkward, relieving, nerve-racking, casual, educational, and so much more. It was a mixture between what I expected it to be and things I could never of prepared for.
   
     I think it would've been cool to have a chance to present in the IMC because it seemed more conversational and different to how it went in class. My room was one reviewer and 3 students. I thought it was going to be weird because it was such a big room with only a few people but our community reviewer was really casual and made it more comfortable. None of us really need the whiteboard but we had it so we used it and the technology worked perfectly so that was nice.
     The hour before the community reviewer arrived was a whole lot of awkward. I was in a room with two students I had never talked to and we all just wanted to present already. It was filled with a cycle of 5 minutes of good conversation about our topics or college then 10 minutes of awkward silence.  Once our community reviewer arrived we got things underway pretty fast. 

     I was the first to present and my opening was a little out of order. This is because I got up there, introduced myself,  and then saw my note cards sitting by my phone. I knew my information and speech well enough to go on without them but it just shook me up a little bit at first. I think it went about the same as it did in class but while I'm presenting things my mind goes blank and I don't really remember what happens. At the end she asked a really good question that I hadn't really put much thought into about the cost efficiency of healthy baking. That is definitely something I want to look into more because I feel a lot of people use cost as an excuse to eat unhealthy foods.

     I made my muffins again and it reminded me how this class wasn't just for a grade but I learned a lot. I literally was able to take my question and what I spent months researching and bring it to life. It was easy and it worked which makes healthy baking all the more appealing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment